1. What is National Advance Care Planning Week?
National Advance Care Planning Week is a week-long initiative to raise awareness of advance care planning. We’re encouraging all Australians to start the conversation about what is important to them and consider their future health care preferences.
2. When is National Advance Care Planning Week being held?
National Advance Care Planning Week will be held 22-26 March.
3. What should an event look like?
If your event has the aim of raising awareness of advance care planning and starting a conversation with attendees, your event can be anything you wish it to be. It can be as small as a casual morning tea or as large as a seminar. We have made several suggestions on our host an event page to give you some ideas.
4. Do I have to work for an organisation to host an event?
No, advance care planning is for all Australians. We encourage individuals to host events to help their family and friends understand advance care planning and start a conversation.
5. Are the National Advance Care Planning Week events run by Advance Care Planning Australia?
While Advance Care Planning Australia (ACPA) is the facilitator of National Advance Care Planning Week, events are typically community run. The event planning and content is at the discretion of the organisation and/or individuals hosting the event. From time to time ACPA may present webinar events during National Advance Care Planning Week, which are hosted and run by ACPA.
6. I have never held an awareness event, where do I start and what resources are available to support it?
On our host an event page we have provided several suggestions on the types of events you can host as well as a link to event resources and event tips to support your event. Depending on availability, registered event hosts may receive a goodie pack, just before their event. The contents of the packs will depend on stock availability but may include posters, pens, flyers and factsheets. While we do our best to ensure all event hosts are supported, please understand that our resources are limited. We recommend that hosts make use of our online resources, some of which can be printed for attendees.
7. How do I register an event?
You can register your event on our registration page. You will need to fill out a simple webform with your event details and some basic contact information.
8. I registered my event but it is not listed on the website, why?
Registrations may take 5 - 8 business days to appear live on the website.
9. How do I promote the event to my networks?
We are developing resources to help you promote your event in the lead up to and also during your event. Visit our event resource page for details.
10. I can’t host or attend an event. How else can I get involved?
There are various ways to get involved which include:
- Contribute to or follow the National Advance Care Planning Week conversation on Facebook and Twitter by using #acpweek21
- Start a conversation with your loved ones and/or health professionals using our conversation starters.
- Share your own story to help encourage other Australians to learn more about advance care planning.
- To understand more about advance care planning, visit the Advance Care Planning Australia website which offers many useful resources or contact our advisory service on 1300 208 582 between Mon – Fri from 9am – 5pm (AEST).
- If you feel you have a good understanding of what advance care planning is, the process and have thought about your values, beliefs and preferences you can start filling out a form. Find forms for your state or territory.
11. Can I volunteer?
Advance Care Planning Australia runs a volunteer community ambassador program. For more information, visit the Become a Volunteer page.
12. How can I keep up to date with news about National Advance Care Planning Week?
For updates on the awareness week, you can subscribe to Advance Care Planning Australia's newsletter.
13. My question is not listed here, where can I find the answer?
If you are unable to find the information you require, please email us via the contact us page.