1. What is National Advance Care Planning Week?
National Advance Care Planning Week is a week-long campaign to raise awareness of advance care planning. We’re encouraging all Australians to start the conversation about what is important to them and their future health care preferences.
2. When is National Advance Care Planning Week being held?
The week is being held from 16 – 22 April 2018 and is coinciding with significant advance care planning events in the USA, Canada and New Zealand.
3. What should an event look like?
If your event has the aim of raising awareness of advance care planning and starting a conversation with attendees, your event can be anything you wish it to be. It can be as small as a casual morning tea or as large as a seminar. We have made a several suggestions on our host an event page to give you some ideas.
4. Do I have to work for an organisation to host an event?
No, advance care planning is for all Australians. We encourage individuals to host events to help their family and friends understand advance care planning and start a conversation.
5. I have never held an awareness event, where do I start and what resources are available to support it?
On our host an event page we have provided several suggestions on the types of events you can host as well as a link to event resources and event tips to support your event.
6. How do I register an event?
Registering an event is simple and is a great way to build awareness of your event and show your support for National Advance Care Planning Week. Visit the Register Your Event page to get started.
7. I registered my event but it is not listed on the website, why?
We require up to five business days to upload your event and once complete we will notify you. If you have not been notified after five business days, please get in touch with us via the contact us page.
8. How do I promote the event to my networks?
We are developing resources to help you promote your event in the lead up to and also during your event. Visit our event resource page for details.
9. I can’t host or attend an event. How else can I get involved?
There are various ways to get involved which include:
- Contribute to or follow the National Advance Care Planning Week conversation on Facebook and Twitter by using #acpweek18
- Start a conversation with your loved ones and/or health professionals using our conversation starters.
- Share your own story to help encourage other Australians to learn more about advance care planning.
- To help you think about your future health care choices and understand the process of an advance care plan, read A Personal Guide and Getting Started, available at the bottom of this page.
- To understand more about advance care planning, visit the Advance Care Planning Australia website which offers many useful resources or contact our advisory service on 1300 208 582 between Mon – Fri from 9am – 5pm (AEST).
- If you feel you have a good understanding of what advance care planning is, the process and have thought about your values, beliefs and preferences you can start filling out a form. Find forms for your state or territory.
10. Can I volunteer?
This is the first time we are hosting the awareness event in Australia so there is currently no volunteer program established. However, Advance Care Planning Australia runs a volunteer community ambassador program. For more information, visit the Become a Volunteer page.
11. How can I keep up to date with news about National Advance Care Planning Week?
For updates on the awareness week you can subscribe to receive communication.
12. My question is not listed here, where can I find the answer?
If you are unable to find the information you require, please email us via the contact us page.