If you're considering hosting a virtual event check out our guide below.
Choose your platform
There are a range of easy-to-use programs on offer to host your online event such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams. If you work for a large organisation you may want to ask your IT or communications department if there is a preferred or supported platform for virtual events.
We recommend that you run a test event with colleagues prior to the event to familiarise yourself with the platform and identify any glitches.
Invite your guests
If you have your guests' email addresses, this is a great way to reach out to them directly. Be sure to include our ACP Week email banner.
You could put one of our posters in a busy area such as a library or health centre foyer.
For a more digitally connected audience, you could put a shout out on social media and use our promotional tiles.
Be sure to include the URL to your online event with clear instructions on how attendees can join in, with date and time detailed. Should you require guests to RSVP be sure to specify this in your invite.
Even if you have basic knowledge of ACP, this should be sufficient to give an introductory presentation to your audience.
We recommend that you use our PowerPoint presentation which covers off the basics. We will send this in an email to registered event hosts when the event registration period has ended.
Should you require a refresher on the basics of advance care planning, we recommend you complete our free online training, Module One: Advance Care Planning Introduction through ACPA Learning.
- Welcome your guests and introduce yourself
- Deliver an Acknowledgement of Country or Welcome to Country
- Quick run-down of event proceedings
- Start with an introductory video to kick off and set the scene
- Launch in to the ACP PowerPoint presentation (we will send this out to registered event hosts when the event registration period has ended)
- Facilitate group discussion by encouraging guests to share their thoughts and experiences. Have a look at our conversation starters and event activities we’ve developed to help you do this.
- Set aside time for Q&A
- Tricky questions can be referred to our National Advance Care Planning Support Service. Freecall 1300 208 582, 9am-5pm, Mon-Fri AEST
- Close the event and encourage guests to find more information and access relevant forms at advancecareplanning.org.au